Dental implants are a fixed solution for replacing missing teeth and are an alternative to having removable partial or complete dentures. In some cases, implants can also provide excellent support and stability for these removable dentures.
Dental implants are titanium posts that are surgically placed into the upper or lower jaw bone by a Dentist or Periodontist (gum specialist). Implants appear very natural and can tremendously enhance a patient’s smile!
Reasons for dental implants:
- Replace one or more missing teeth without affecting neighbouring teeth
- Resolve joint pain or bite problems caused by teeth shifting into missing tooth space
- Restore your confident smile
- Restore chewing, speech, and digestion
- Restore or enhance facial tissues
- Support a bridge or denture, making them more secure and comfortable
What does getting dental implants involve?
The process of getting implants requires a number of visits over several months. After deciding that an implant is right for you, X-rays and impressions (models) are taken of the jaw and teeth to determine bone, gum tissue, and spacing available for an implant. While the area is numb, the implant will be surgically placed into the bone and allowed to heal and integrate itself into the bone for up to six months. After this time, a crown can be placed that will function like a natural tooth!