At Yaletown Dentistry, we thrive on educating our patients and preventing future dental issues. Through regular dental hygiene maintenance and dental check-ups, we can locate any issues and dental diseases that may arise, and remedy them in a timely manner. This preventative approach ensures that treatment is the least invasive and less costly in the long term for our patients. It also allows our patients to fully understand their dental health and plan for the next 5-10 years, with a more comprehensive approach.
Dental Exam at Yaletown Dentistry
A comprehensive dental examination with our dentists is recommended as the first step in a long-term plan for your dental health. The examination provides an overview of your dental conditions and will involve the following:
- Diagnostic digital x-rays (radiographs) to detect cavities (decay), tumours, cysts, and bone loss. Radiographs are done in intervals based on each individuals’ needs.
- Gum disease evaluation to check and record the health of your gums and the bone around your teeth. We look for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease and record a thorough measurement of gum recession and any bone loss. This allows us to monitor your supportive tissues closely and helps to preserve and keep your teeth for the long term. Any changes will be discussed with you so that you can alter your home care to address any areas that may be deteriorating.
- Evaluation of tooth surfaces to check for dental decay. We will strategize correcting areas that need immediate attention, but will also evaluate, record, and monitor areas where decay is in its initial stages so that we can keep a close eye on cavities that may reverse with exceptional home care.
- Examination of existing restorations that you currently have, including fillings, crowns, implants, and other restorations, ensuring they are being maintained, and recording their current state, so that follow up visits can ensure close monitoring of these, and provide for a preventative maintenance program
- Oral cancer screening for early detection and treatment. We do a thorough examination and also use state-of-the-art illumination technology (Velscope) that detects any changes in your oral tissues. This preventative screening can detect altered cells and abnormalities at very early stages, and allow for early treatment and resolution.
*Intraoral pictures of all your teeth to record their wear and tear, for future analysis and comparison. This allows us to advise you on future treatment in a very prioritized way, catered to your specific needs, and shows us the results of your preventative care regimen, so that we may adjust it for your needs.
*3D digital scan (Itero) of your entire dentition, to record all your teeth in 3D, as well as biting pressure points. This records and time stamps the current state of your teeth, but also allows us to predict future tooth and enamel wear and gum recession.
As part of the examination process, your dentist will show you the results of the analysis and educate you on the status of the conditions of your mouth. You will have the opportunity to ask any questions to ensure you fully understand the findings.
Oral Health Screening and Prevention of Oral Cancer is our priority. To ensure our patients have the best care, we have introduced the award-winning, FDA- approved Velscope. This fluorescence technology is recognized by the World Health Organization, in its effectiveness to identify abnormalities in oral tissues, and precancerous lesions, that cannot be seen by the naked eye. We use a cordless handheld fluorescence wand to scan your tissues in your mouth in just 5 minutes. There is a small fee for this service, and many insurance companies may cover the cost. Early recognition and treatment are the keys for any malignancy, to allow for a full recovery. We offer this new service to all new and existing patients. Please ask us about our Velscope Cancer Screening.
We use the latest in 3D imaging technology to both record and analyze our patients’ bite pressure and wear patterns. This Itero 3D scanner is unique, in that it allows us to analyze and prevent future gum recession, tooth chipping, and even premature tooth loss. This preventative scan saves our patients from future costly dentistry.
An Itero scan is complimentary and takes just a few minutes, but promises to impress! It can even provide an immediate virtual simulation of what your new smile could look like.
This laser and optical imaging is both safe and fast. It has no radiation, so is safe for all individuals and can be used to identify future areas in your mouth that will need attention.
Itero scanning technology is also in our office to prevent those goopy uncomfortable impressions. We use this laser technology to record your teeth to fabricate crowns, night guards, and any other oral appliances needed. Imagine a 5-minute painless picture vs a 5-minute gooping mess of impression material in your mouth.