Teeth Whitening Myths
A bright white smile is easily achievable right here in Vancouver and it isn’t just relegated to your favourite celebrity. Choosing a safe and reliable treatment can be tricky. Here are some teeth whitening myths for you that will clarify the facts and keep you headed in the right direction.
- Myth #1— Teeth whitening will damage your enamel. As long as the whitening is performed by a certified dental professional, your enamel will not be damaged. Be sure to have the procedure performed by a professional at your dental clinic rather than a beauty salon. At-home whitening should still involve professional recommended treatments provided by your dentist.
- Myth #2— Teeth whitening lasts throughout your entire life. Your teeth continue to be affected by what you consume and your oral hygiene habits after your teeth have been whitened. Although they probably will never revert to the colour they were before whitening, you should periodically return for an additional treatment to address the stains caused by good living.
- Myth #3— There are new techniques, like activated charcoal, that work wonders. There is simply no scientific evidence, as yet, to support this method, or many others you may find on social media. Stick with the proven treatments that are provided by your dentist. A whitening mouthwash also has few notable results.
- Myth #4— Teeth sensitivity is likely to result from whitening treatments. Although a certain amount of teeth sensitivity is not uncommon, it is reversible and transient. In general, whitening should result in mild to moderate sensitivity. Consult with your dentist for solutions to help reduce the sensitivity.
- Myth #5— Whitening makes your teeth look unnatural. Not necessarily. Most of us want changes in our appearance to be subtle enough so that a change is noticed but not easily identified. Whitening your teeth is a process that you can control and determine the degree to which it is accomplished. The degree of whitening is determined by how long a period you leave the whitening agent on your teeth. The teeth whitening process is a progressive one. There is also a finite degree to which your teeth can be whitened.
There are several things you can do to improve your ability to keep your teeth white. When teeth are straight and not crowded, they are easier to keep clean. Yaletown Dentistry provides effective ways to correct your teeth, and improve your smile, from Invisalign invisible aligners to veneers, implants, and whitening.
Yaletown Dentistry in Downtown Vancouver BC
Your condition is unique, so our proposed custom care plan will be unique to you. Come in for a complimentary consultation and find out all options available to you.
Yaletown Dentistry is an independently owned and operated dental practice in downtown Vancouver. We can give you the smile you’ve always wanted with efficient and painless solutions. Scheduling a consultation is easy. Book an appointment online, or simply call us. See you soon!